- Design: 3 out of 5. It looks like Altaria just got a fluffier butt.. and a hat.
- Usefulness: 5 out of 5. It can just do so much effectively. Having a unique type doesn't hurt either. I think Mega Altaria might be one of the Megas I'm most excited about just because it can be so unique. You really can raise one for a team, rather than having to raise a team around it.
- Overall: 4 out of 5
Mega Salamence - People have been pleading for Mega Salamence since the Gen III starters were announced. No, scratch that, they were pleading for this when Megas were announced. If the Mega Salamence we got was the one they were hoping for remains to be seen. Maybe it's not the Mega Salamence we deserve, but it is possibly the one we don't need right now. Seriously, does Salamence really NEED to be stronger? Apparently so, especially since Mewtwo got a Mega (OH WAIT it got two...). Obviously, being already broken to death doesn't exclude a pokémon from becoming more broken. Press releases have only mentioned that its Defense gets a boost, but truthfully that's already something to fear. Salamence already gets the opportunity to Intimidate the opponent, then it Mega evolves and gets a Defense boost. Also, once it Mega evolves, it gets Aeriate. All of a sudden, making a defensive Salamence isn't a terrible idea. Now by utilizing Aeriate, you can make up for the loss in Attack by going with a Defense nature or by investing some EVs in Defense.
- Design: 2 out of 5. I. Do. Not. Like. The. Wing(s). I was never a big fan of Salamence's weird blade wings. They never made sense to me. Now, it makes even less sense. I get it's supposed to look "sleek", but it just looks like the wings were glued on. Look at the picture above, they don't even look like they are a part of its body, just something tacked on. Also, why does it get this "sleek" look but then get a defense boost? Does this also mean its getting a speed boost too?
- Usefulness: 4 out of 5. Salamence was always good.. now its better. The only reason it isn't a 5 is Dragon/Flying is still a pretty crappy combo. 4x Ice weakness and Stealth Rock weakness hurts. It's also possible that, depending on how stat boosts are allotted, that Mega Salamence falls into the same group as Mega Garchomp. Mega Garchomp is good, but the drop in speed makes it less used than its standard form. If Mega Salamence gets a drop in the wrong area, it could mean even Aeriate can't save it.
- Overall: 3 out of 5
|She works hard for the money...|
- Design: 3 out of 5. I get it, she's a fighter so she needed to get some "ear scrunchies" so they wouldn't get in the way as much. That's fair. She also has what appear to be leg warmers and tights... like she just got out of an 80's spin class. Makes sense. Also, I know Lopunny CAN be male, I just can't see myself having a male Lopunny. Same goes for female Seaking. My OCD brain can't handle it.
- Usefulness: 3 out of 5. A Mega Scrappy fighter definitely has a niche, but I just don't know how big of a niche that is, and if it's worth taking up a Mega spot on your team to cover that. Time will tell on this one.
- Overall: 3 out of 5
- Design: 4 out of 5. Hear me out on this one. I like the fact that the "energy from Mega evolving" seems to have been directed at something rather than Slowbro itself, but rather the Shellder on its tail. It is very similar to Mega Kangaskhan where the "energy" goes to the baby.
- Usefulness: 1 out of 5. Well, no one would see it coming. Also, it is possible that Slowbro gets a defensive boost that makes it worth having.. but I don't have that information. Based on what I know, Mega Slowbro won't see much play at all.
- Overall: 2.5 out of 5.
|Proving it is possible to be "too cute".|
- Design: 4 out of 5. Although I don't like "super cute" pokémon, this does seem like it underwent a drastic change from Mega evolving, and it clearly shows off it's new Fairy typing.
- Usefulness: 2 out of 5. Like I mentioned before, it may have a use as a 2v2 support pokémon, I just don't know if I'd give up a slot for it unless it's a walling beast. It is immune to two types (Dragon and Ghost) and has a lot of moves to support its partners, so who knows? Maybe use Simple Beam on your own Magic Bounce pokémon to make Mega Audino a stat boosting fiend (it can breed for Amnesia).
- Overall: 3 out of 5
What are your opinions of these new Megas? Do you disagree with my ratings? Do you think Mega Slowbro is the next best thing to sliced bread? I would hope not.